Wednesday, June 6, 2012

06/06/2012 Writing Wednesday!

Hello again! Sorry about the delay in the posting, I am doing some favors this week for my parents, so while I promise the posts will happen, like I said on Monday they may be a little later than normal. Also the last week of June, my plan is to try really hard to get the posts up in the morning, but more than likely they will be in the later afternoon. With that being the last week the center's open, they've changed everyone's shifts to 8 - 5, and while I'm crying inside of that, it's something that must be accepted.

Today I wanted to look at the different perspectives you can use while writing. Now in general people are used to a third-person perspective, where you see the actions and events as told by someone who's watching the characters go through them. Usually this is told from the general point of view of one person, usually the main character. This is the most common that is used. It's one we're familiar with, and feel the most comfortable. There are two versions of this, the one we're all used to which is called Close Third-Person (Thanks Rae!), and third person omniscient. In general you don't see the Omniscient version at least I haven't in a very, very long time. It's a difficult way to write, but it also is hard to read because it forces the reader to suspend their disbelief more than they already have. If you're reading something and the 'narrator' keeps talking about the evil darkness looming over them and how awful it will be if they pick up the cursed gem, as the main character picks up the cursed gem anyway. Or if say there are continuous mentions of a villain and what they're doing at all times, when obviously the main protagonists have, and could never have, any idea of that at all.

Another perspective that I really like, and have been trying to work on more is first-person. For those that aren't familiar, it is when the story is told from the point of view of the main character directly. Instead of using 'he or him' used be using 'I' for exposition and description. I really do like this way of writing because it causes the reader to become instantly involved in the story. It makes them feel that they are directly tied to the actions that the character is going through, and that is probably one of the best feelings an author can get. As I've said before, having an emotional response should be any writer's goal. Now I won't get any actual examples of this here, mostly because as I said it is a format that I find rather difficult, so I am currently in the process of practicing with it. I don't want to put anything up that would be seen as incorrect/bad advice.

Thanks everyone for stopping by again. I will be back on Friday with a review for everyone to read through. I appreciate the continued support of this blog and wish you all nothing but the best. As I've said before, if there are any comments/questions/emotional outbursts, don't hesitate to post them or contact me. I would love to hear from anyone. Until Friday, have a good rest of your week!

No comments:

Post a Comment