Wednesday, October 26, 2011

10/26/2011 Writing Wednesday

Hello all! It's Wednesday which means the week is half-way conquered, yay! I'm still doing my pre-nano wrist-not-killing, but I'm ready for next week and am super excited! I can't wait to dive right in and beat up that daily quota like no tomorrow!

Yesterday was rather exciting for me, because I was able to join up with a writer's guild. Not just any, but one for steampunk writer's and artists. It's really exciting to be able to talk about writing, and in particular writing in the steampunk genre, and not get confused looks, or a bunch of instant criticism. This is also important when it comes to marketing, when you can focus your efforts on the demographic that is likely to have the strongest reaction to your work.

I have been told at when it comes to marketing, you need a plan, not just throw yourself out in five billion different directions and hope it works. As I mentioned on Monday, this is particularly hard for me because I don't know much of what I'm doing in that respect, but it was also recommended that I join writer's groups and such, so I'm trying it out and let me tell you so far it has been delightful. I highly recommend it, if for no other reason you will get support, and for new writers in a crazy world where getting even the smallest piece of recognition is hard and there are mountains of rejection from agents and such, support is something that will keep you going.

There are writing groups all over the place, whether they are just on the internet, or also in the real world, all you have to do is look. Most have websites or facebook pages, or what-not. The one I joined is S.W.A.G or Steampunk Writer's and Artists Guild and they are always accepting new submissions. I highly recommend it, because it also helps getting yourself out there be a bit easier when everyone will know what you're talking about.

I hope everything is having a good week so far, I'll be back Friday with a new book to promote. As always, any questions, comments, recommendations, suggestions, and so-forth, feel free to leave them below, or send me an e-mail or also a twitter dm @explodingrunes until then!

No comments:

Post a Comment