Wednesday, October 12, 2011

10/12/2011 Writing Wednesday

Hello to all! I hope this middle of the week is finding you well. As I mentioned before I have returned to my normal schedule, so I am awake, and not having to wake up at ridiculous early in the morning. This is a good thing!

On Monday I mentioned the importance of backing up your data because at any moment your computer can decide it wants to stop being cooperative. I seriously cannot stress how important it truly is. Just the idea that I might lose everything had me practically losing it. There are multiple ways backing things up can be done whether it be by just putting them on portable or removable hard drives, cloud systems like Google Docs, Dropbox, or even just having them in an e-mail you've sent somewhere, these are all forms of a backup that can save you lots of heartache and stress.

Anyway, while I was in training, I was asked how I keep my ideas straight when going between several different things. The example I was given was, I write during my break for about ten or fifteen minutes, come back and do something work-related for another 2 hours, then pick up where I left off during my lunch. I found this question incredibly difficult to answer, because to me, it's simply just how my brain works. Which is why I wanted to bring it up here, I was wondering if anyone else has a similar way of working?

To me, when I get an idea, it will stay with me no matter how distracted I get until it is finished, which is why I'm currently working on 6 other books before I go absolutely insane. Not to say there aren't points where I hit a bit of writers block, I think that happens to everyone, it happens to me with filler, but that doesn't mean the idea is weak or is floating away, I just need to bridge the gap between two scenes. Normally what happens is I try to at least finish the sentence I was working on before having to hop back to work, or whatever I was doing previously, then if I do forget what was happening, I look at the previous paragraph and get back to work. That was how I answered his question, though I'm never sure if that's the standard one.

When it comes to multi-tasking, how does everyone else do it? If you have any tips, tricks, or want to post your own method below for others to see/try out to see if it helps them in their writing, please do so. The way I see it, other authors aren't your competition, they are your comrades in arms, and right now we're all in this together when it comes to getting our voices out.

On that note, I hope everyone has a safe and fun rest of the week. I'll see everyone on Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment