Wednesday, April 30, 2014

04/30/2014 Writing Wednesday!

Greetings everyone and welcome back! As tempted as I am to have every word is today's post be 'kitty' repeated over and over again, I will spare you from that special kind of hell. If you haven't guessed, we are working on getting a new kitty, and today I found out it will officially be only a couple weeks until then. I conveniently have a vacation coming up around that time, and then I'll get a new fuzzy kitty to play with! Kitty, kitty, kitty!

Ha! Tricked you! Don't worry, I won't fill the entire post with the word kitty. I wanted to talk about important things like letting your brain do other things even if it doesn't want to and will think its weird you go to do it. I bring it up today because I had the experience yesterday because my laptop is being stupid. Don't get me wrong, I love the thing, but it has decided the battery isn't charging, like almost every other laptop I've ever had, and on the HP forums there's no actual fix. After my fits of rage of having to do this again, for yet another computer even though it's not a Dell (though this one did last longer so...that's something), I am now waiting for a second battery and external charger for said battery. The thing is I am currently unable to bring the laptop to work while waiting, so I need to find something else to do, and my brain was super not happy about that.

I got to thinking about the importance of break time and everything because of a show they pretty much always have on at work during my lunch. Generally I take what they have on there with a few grains of salt because they are still paid to promote certain things, and medical shows I am always a little skeptical about, especially ones that are run by the same people that run Dr. Phil. However sometimes they are pretty entertaining, and once in a while they actually do have pretty good information and I think they actually do want to help people. One day they mentioned burn-out. Now, I listened to that because I actually do suffer from it, but it's more on an official work capacity because the idea of taking time off stresses me out because I am convinced if I do that, when I come back there are going to be a series of fires I'm going to need to put out. Yesterday I saw the same things happening with my editing though, and it freaked me out, which is why I needed to bring it up today.

I have been editing for...pretty much it feels like over a year. I think there were a couple spaces where I played a game (nothing will interrupt my Pokemon time) and NaNoWriMo happened at some point, but for the most part I was editing. Putting myself on some kind of schedule that was more 'this seriously needs to get done' and less 'this needs to get done by noon' was better, but that didn't mean I wasn't doing it. Now I am still editing, and while it is going smoothly, I am now to where I need my laptop to for further. So with me waiting for things like the mail, I brought my 3DS to work and it felt so weird! It was in that moment I realized that I needed that break so badly just to do nothing of importance. I'm not even playing a new game, I'm playing one that I have already beaten I'm just trying to see how close to 100% I can get. I could start Final Fantasy X or X-2 or Braverly Default, but I haven't because right now that is far too much effort. In some sense the only break I've had was playing Pokemon X (and man I played the HELL out of it) and that was months ago, and it was a gap between months of editing/writing while still working my normal job in the mix of everything.

Taking a break is so important because if you don't you will get so incredibly tired. Not in the 'it's midnight I should have gone to sleep a while ago' tired either. I mean mentally and emotionally so. The vacation I have in May is the first week off I will have that wasn't spent jobless in over a decade. If you are feeling frazzled, exhausted, somewhat irritable, or that you are just super done with something that is your normal routine, then take a step back and go do something different even for an hour. It will really help. It's going to feel weird because your brain is going to be confused, but you will feel a lot better once you're done.

Thanks everyone for stopping by today! Hopefully I'll be able to do stuff for Friday too. This week is just a bunch of running around for me, so we'll see. Remember, 'Rending the Seal' is available at Smashwords so check it out and use coupon VQ68M to get it 75% off!! For now, have a great rest of your week!

No comments:

Post a Comment