Wednesday, April 9, 2014

04/9/2014 Writing Wednesday!

Hello everyone and welcome back. I hope this week has been kindly to you so far. The weather seems to have at least been pleasant for it. I am mostly trapped inside an office building throughout the day, but I get to see it through the window. Remember there's something terrible Heartbleed bug out there, so be careful where you sign into until there is a fix put into place. Though I guess it's been around for a while...so...do whatever you want? If you've started using the Amazon site smile.amazon.com so that part of your purchases go to charity, this little tool thingy I found said there is a vulnerability there and while I didn't check is normal Amazon is vulnerable, I am now freaked out and worried, which is of course just awesome for me!

In my seemingly never-ending editing process I am looking at the light at the end of the tunnel that will be getting to actually write again. I've talked previously about how when you go back to writing after editing for a long time it's going to be hard not to look at every mistake and try to immediately fix it. Today I wanted to look at what happens next. I mean sure you want to say that you go right back to editing, but I also want to tell you that you're wrong, but I suppose that will partially depend on what your schedule dictates.

I'm actually going to talk about that scheduling part. Sorry if you feel tricked, but it is actually important. I'm not talking about saying you need to give yourself specific deadlines or anything, because those only lead to a ton of unnecessary stress. Unless you are working directly with an agent or publishing company, specific dates and deadlines shouldn't be used unless you know for 100% certain you are going to be meeting them. I'm more talking about the order in which you are working on things. Please note that this doesn't necessarily need to be the same as the order they are being completed in.

For example let's say you're working on a book series. Sure you could work on one thing at a time, but what will end up happening is that you will have gaps where you are doing absolutely nothing. On average you will have two to three projects in various stages of completion at any given time. That's a more realistic image. That is because if say someone is reading things over for you, because you can't look at it anymore, you aren't going to be working on that particular story, however that doesn't necessarily mean you aren't working on a different one. Either by getting part of it written or starting the editing for it. Then let's say you participate in NaNoWriMo and want to do something completely different for that, that will add something else to that pile. There is always something that is going on, but while someone might come in and think that looks crazy, you need to make sure that isn't crazy for you.

That series needs to have an order in which it's getting released, and you as the author I would hope know what that order is. So that means your primary focus is going to be on whatever is getting released next. Remember that doesn't mean you can't work on anything else, that just means that say when you get stuff back from your beta-reader your other work gets to a stop-point and you go back to the primary story. My personal rule is that whenever someone else has my stuff I work on something else, or the month after NaNoWriMo I will too just because I need a good amount of winding down. After that though it's back to work. As long as there's a method to your madness that's the most important thing.

For me while I have 'Rending the Seal' ready to go, I am working on editing 'Through the Broken Mirror'. Sitting on the back-burner though is the somewhat edited version of 'Daughter of the Shackled King' and the start of the transposition of 'Feathers of the Dead'. Granted that will be the order of release as well, but I was working on 'Daughter of the Shackled King' and 'Feathers of the Dead' long before I even started writing 'Through the Broken Mirror'. It's just that right now things are starting to line up into a release format-line-thing. At first it was work on whatever I wanted to because things were in such early stages it didn't really matter. I know that around September-ish I will need to start getting prepared for the start of 'War of the Pantheons' for NaNoWriMo, but that will be mostly a mental thing. That doesn't mean that anything but November is happening with that story for a long time. That is my crazy now and trust me, it used to make a lot less sense.

Thanks everyone for stopping by. I hope I helped out today. Remember it doesn't matter what order you're currently working in as long as the final one is the one you want. Hopefully I'll return on Friday. We'll see. I am not at 100% today as my mother informed me last night that my cat, Nikita, at her house has cancer. That was my first kitten and I got her when I was in middle school. The cat is 16 so they aren't treating her and just trying to keep her comfortable. Right now all I want to do is stay home and cuddle and play with Thoth all day, but I don't think work would appreciate that (something about me needing to get stuff done? I don't know, it's weird.) Hopefully I'll be back to thinking clearly on Friday. For now, please be careful on the internet, I mean...I hope you are already, it's a terrible place, but that Heartbleed thing is ridiculous, so please be extra careful and have a great rest of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment