Wednesday, August 21, 2013

08/21/2013 Writing Wednesday!

Good day everyone and welcome back. I'm glad to see you all here and hope you're week is going well so far. My experiment day 1 went about as well as I expected with the added side-effect that everything felt like it was moving very slowly. Today should be normal though, so that's at least something. For those who are confused, I am cutting back on my pop consumption to try and lose some weight, and the lack of caffeine was very difficult.

So editing is still going well, but with September right around the corner I am knowing that with some other things it's going to be slowing-down-time. This is because NaNoWriMo is going to magically appear right after October like it does every year and it's also going to feel like it shows up sooner than I think it should. I think it's important for everyone to acknowledge their limits, especially with something as massive as NaNoWriMo so they can prepare accordingly.

I always try to emphasize how much your body will tell you what it can and can't do, and I'll likely do it again when we get closer to to date, but I seriously can't stress that enough. If you start feeling stiffness or pain at any time during your work it's time to take a break. This goes for anything you do in conjunction with writing, like say drawing, video games, writing other stuff, every day work, or whatever. If you start feeling there is a limit to what you're doing, please recognize that as your body begging you to stop being a jerk.

Every year about this time I start slowing down my production, at least getting to the starting stages of doing so. It's not a very significant slowing down, but I can feel it. I'll work on less ridiculously intensive pictures, I'll only do a specific type of editing, and (try to) cut down on the video games I'm playing in order to make sure I can last as long as possible during November. Now this year is proving to be a challenge simply by the fact a slew of games I DESPERATELY want to play have all decided to come out between October and November (Pokemon, Legend of Zelda, and XCom (the last two both coming out in November, possibly on the same day because the world hates me) with Disgaea either coming out in November or December as well) and that is making my life sad. Keep in mind if this is happening to you too, there is a way to have everything you want, you just need to be careful. Don't binge play the games. Play for a bit one day, then give yourself a break the next, or something similar. Just don't decide you're going to work, write more words than anyone thought was possible, and also play the game. It won't work and you'll just regret your life.

No matter what thought, make sure the writing is fun. Yes there are people like me who are using NaNoWriMo as a chance to get some large pieces of progress done on a major project, but that doesn't mean it isn't super enjoyable. If you are participating in the month because you feel you need to, and are miserable doing it, maybe it's time to take a step back and think about some things. This whole process should be fun, and I would love to hear about people's progress when it gets to that time. It'll be fun to all be part of it together.

Thanks so much for stopping by. I should be back on Friday, but with a big thing at work being planned for that day I don't want to make any promises, since there is a chance I'll need to finish up my end of preparations early in the morning. My plan/hope is to get everything done Thursday night though so that won't be an issue. I'll be sure to keep everyone up to date though just in case. Hope you all have a great rest of your week!

No comments:

Post a Comment