Wednesday, June 26, 2013

06/26/2013 Writing Wednesday!

Hello everyone! We've made it to the half-way point of the week. It seemed like it took years to get there, but we did it. I've been enjoying the ridiculousness of weather up here and also the looks I get whenever I giggle like a crazy person at the sound of thunder. I can't help it, I think it's neat. I feel kind of bad because after being excited about how close I was to finishing Phase 1 of editing, I have managed not to get any done since. Fate has forced me to take a 'minibreak' which is what I'm calling forgetting the binder at home on Monday and that blog I told you about last week demanding my attention yesterday. Today will be better though...I demand it.

Coming to a point when something is going to be considered 'finished' in one sense or another is difficult. I don't just mean that the process getting to that point is either, though it is and never let someone tell you differently. I literally mean finishing something is hard. Think about it; you've spent potentially months occupying part of your time doing this one thing pretty much daily that it has become a piece of your everyday life. Suddenly you know it's going to be over, and there's this moment of panic as your brain now needs to figure out what to do with the time once that happens.

I've seen the effects of this, and they are not always good. It's similar to finishing a really good book or video game; you like it so much that you don't want to it end, so you just don't do it. Endings are difficult, no matter what kind, which is why so many people never get to them. I'll admit that I am a 'victim' of this as well, because quite frankly some TV shows do something I don't like to characters that I have grown attached to, and then I get angry. I would put up a list, but that will put me on a tangent. Writing is the same way, and take a look at your own process; do you tend to start writing slower once you're getting closer to what you know is your end point? Do you become easily distracted by things that will prevent you from working on it? Do those things ever end up winning so much that when you return to your work you have no idea where things were going so you chuck it out the window? Long story short, the brain is a jerk.

I mentioned this previously, but I believe that it is important enough to warrant a further discussion. You've made a new habit, which takes about 30 days to actually 100% form in your head, and now you are getting close to either ending it, or having to change up that habit. Your brain is going to come to a grinding halt in an attempt to make this change not happen. At first the slowing down will start, and this can be coupled with those distractions I mentioned previously. They can range from cat videos on the internet, pretty pictures, movies, to other pieces of work, either way your mind will begin to wander in an attempt to make you not finish what you're doing. Sure you can force yourself to stay on target, which is eventually what you end up doing, but what also helps for me is making a plan. You prepare yourself for what comes next so your brain can focus on that as you get closer to your completion.

It's kind of weird to spell it out like that, but you are basically manipulating yourself. It seems strange, but that is really what you're doing. In the end you'll be working on the same project, but your brain is going to be gearing up for whatever Part 2 is. The real dilemma comes when you are actually done with everything. You'll sit there and go for your notebook or your laptop ready to write the great American novel and then hesitate, because you've already done that, you finished that yesterday and now you need to find something else to do. While at first this may seem like relief, your brain is about to be crippled by choice and you'll soon find yourself looking at all those cat videos you missed. Sure you can start a new project, but that will take a new set of habit-building-days, and right now you just need to let your mind melt a little. Enjoy that, because this is a stage so many people find hard to get to. Finishing something, while giving you the awkward moment where you don't know what to do with your mind, is incredibly hard to get to.

When it gets to that point, take a moment to reflect on everything you've done, and just be proud of yourself. Give yourself a little break, pull out a video game or something and just enjoy that. Then when it comes time to start something else you will be at 100% and can give it your all. It's an uphill battle, so don't decide to turn around half way through just because walking downhill is easier. We're all in this together!

Thanks everyone for stopping by again, I really do appreciate it. If there's ever anything you'd like to have discussed or you have any questions, please leave a comment or send me a message. I do everything in my power to be available, so I will be able to reply relatively soon afterward. I'll be back on Friday though, and I look forward to it. Enjoy the rest of your week!

No comments:

Post a Comment