Wednesday, June 19, 2013

06/19/2013 Writing Wednesday!

Hello everyone and welcome back! We are past the half-way point for June, which is all the more crazier if you realize I almost typed 'March' back there. This year is full of change and ridiculousness and so far I'm enjoying it. I think, from what I remember I'll say I like it more than I dislike it. However which June technically almost done it means it's time to start planning ahead, especially of this year is going to try and get the best of us by breezing by.

That being said, I wanted to talk about NaNoWriMo today. I know you're thinking that it's a little early to start planning for November, but I will also remind you that WE'RE SERIOUSLY ALMOST DONE WITH JUNE ALREADY THIS IS MADNESS! So I don't believe it's too early, especially since most of us have a lot of other stuff going on too, so making sure it's worked in properly might actually be a good thing.

Now in most years I start planning a couple months before November, but not this year, mostly because I'm in the middle of editing and likely will still be there at that time. As we all know November is the month where everything else goes on pause. Even if the video game industry also decides they need to throw stuff at me and tempt me to destroy my hands some more...jerks. Joke's on them though, because at E3 they announced they moved Pokemon's release date to October (remember, I'm 12 at heart) so yeah! The thing I'm actually trying to get at is you need to be prepared, because there are going to be things that will desperately try to pull you away from it. I'm not talking about things like work, money, and children, but the more unexpected things like the crazy things children sometimes do, or your cat pulling down your TV, or fire tornadoes.

My plan for NaNoWriMo is to actually finish the story I started last year. I know it sounds like cheating, but whatever you're not my supervisor (been watching Archer). It's still going to be 50,000 or 60,000 words that will be written in the month of November, and with everything else that I've been working on it's seriously the best time to try and finish that thing. I need to get that one finished, or as close to it as possible if I actually manage to release 'Rending the Seal' this year. So that's basically step 1; figure out what you're doing. If you go into November with the thought of writing a novel and have 100% no idea what it's going to be, you'll open that Word document and stare at it with existential horror because you know something is supposed to be on that electronic piece of paper, but nothing is happening. Planning ahead can avoid this!

The other part is to get your loved ones prepared early. I have to do this every year, and while I feel like an ass, they always seem to understand, at least on some level, what I'm trying to do. They will feel neglected and sad, and you'll feel like a jerk, but there are ways to multi-task and get this done so you're not a complete one. You can try and do more one day so you can take a break the next, work out your schedule so you do some writing in the morning, more in the afternoon on your lunch break or something, and get the rest done in the evening. That's what I started doing, and at the very least my wrists were thankful...until December, but whatever. The point is if you start November and don't at the very least remind them that your work is going to be your computer, paper, notebook, or whatever you use for the next however many days it takes you to make that quota. It makes them feel better and tells them that you don't actually love writing more than them.

I hope this was helpful, because I know things are nuts for a lot of people and hopefully planning this early will relieve some of the stress that might come later on. NaNoWriMo is not meant to be seen as a chore, but something fun you do to challenge yourself. Remember it's not a race (unless you make it one) at least not in the technical sense because there is a finish line...and an end...ok so it's kind of a race, but whatever. Just go at your own pace and enjoy yourself. I guess it's more like a marathon actually...

For now I'll head out and leave you all until Friday. In the meantime, after you read this and if you're into analyzing the potential paranormal, stop by Devin from Fact or Faked and Haunted Highway's new blog SyfySleuth.com. It's super fun and also kind of neat to break down the videos with other people. Have a great rest of your week and I'll see you on Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment