Friday, June 21, 2013

06/21/2013 Fantastic Friday!

Hello everyone and welcome back. We made it to Friday, which after thinking it was almost Friday for most of the week, I'm going to call a success. I'm looking forward to feeling like I have a real weekend, mostly because I will, but also because I have family coming into town, and that's always fun. Especially because I can just go to my parent's house and visit them and not have to worry about anyone staying with me. Anyway, let's get to the reason you're actually here.

Today I bring you 'The Miracle' by KN Schultz. It tells the story about a small town, so ravaged by drought that the local priest is hoarse from his daily prayers. The drills to dig more wells and irrigate water from other locations has broken, leaving the people there scared and weak. Eric is the elderly blacksmith who makes it his duty to protect the residents of the town he loves so dearly, and when a spontaneous river brings hope back to the people, but also monsters that are feeding on the townsfolk, he takes it upon himself to find out where they came from.

Eric is also joined by the priest's wife, Mary, in this quest. She is young, adventurous and also wants to find the cause of the monsters if for no other reason her husband can rest. Together they gear up and follow the river to the local mine to hunt the monsters. When they discover the cause seems to be a portal to a world beyond their own, the decisions that must be made are difficult and costly.


'The Miracle' is available on Smashwords for absolutely free, so please check it out and tell the author what you think. The writing style is a bit different from what I'm used to, which is one reason why I kept reading. Rather than the 3rd person past tense, it was 3rd person present tense, which gives you a sense that everything is happening at that very moment and also helps convey the gravity of the situation. I believe that works out quite nicely.

For now I hope you all enjoy some weekend reading. I am going to try and keep myself awake for the party thing we're doing at work today. I hope you all enjoy yourselves and have a great weekend as well. Enjoy the start of summer, and I'll be back on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment