Wednesday, March 19, 2014

03/19/2014 Writing Wednesday!

Hello everyone and welcome back. I hope this week is treating you well. If you live in the Western Washington area, please keep your chin up, I know yesterday morning was really scary and really shocking, but we're all good people (how we all came together for the Super Bowl proved that) and that means we can get through this too. My thoughts go out to the friends and families of the crash victims and the survivor who is recovering still. Right now, let's talk about fun (well I think they're fun) things!

So writing stuff! Ok we're done! Haha, no that would be the weakest post ever, and I've done some weak posts. I pulled out my notebook for 'Feathers of the Dead' yesterday because I know I need to start moving that to a digital format and it was strange, even though it is technically already written, it felt nice to do something that felt like writing again. I feel like I've been editing for an eternity (and will keep doing so for another one) so just doing something different is nice. It was just strange how it felt though so I thought we'd look at that today.

Writing should be fun, and don't let anyone tell you something different. If you look at it as tiring, or work, or some level of difficult to the point of exhaustion you are going to burn yourself out. Editing is where a lot of the leg work comes in, but even still there should be some level of excitement that comes with it because you are getting close to the completion stage. Also there are some people who get this ridiculous thrill from editing...I don't understand how their brains work and I don't think I ever will. Going back to actually writing something though was like lifting a weight that felt like had been there for months and even if I only typed out about a page and a half, it was great. It should feel like that about 80% of the time for anyone. I say 80% because let's face it, sometimes you just have a crappy day and I don't want to seem unrealistic.

Granted there are people for whom writing is their full-time job. I am first of all, wicked jealous they have an income that can support that because what I make from my books super isn't enough to do that. Second, if you're able to do that and not get burned out, I say go for it. Personally I'm someone who needs their hobbies and crafts and fun things that I do on the side to stay that way. I go to writing when my work has me to the point of wanting to kill something so I can relax. If that was my job I wouldn't know where to go when I needed to relax because what would normally be my outlet WOULD be my job. That could just be me though and I am not exactly the shining example of normal.

I think the point I'm trying to make is that if you're writing a book or whatever type of writing you do, if should be enjoyable. It should make you happy and should help you relax on some level when you're doing it. If it makes you more stressed out while you're trying to work, then there is a problem. It's not about thinking what other people will potentially think of your story, because frankly who cares what they think. You're writing your story for you and the feeling of satisfaction that comes for finishing it, not what theoretical commentators are going to say. Do what makes you happy, and hopefully writing will do that.

Thanks everyone for stopping by. Hopefully things will do well and I will also be back on Friday. For now I hope the rest of the week treats you well. If you have any questions or comments or anything feel free to leave them. Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment