Wednesday, December 4, 2013

12/4/2013 Writing Wednesday!

Hello everyone and welcome back! It was the coldest night of the year up here apparently and I am feeling it. Well I feel all of the cold, but I am especially feeling it now in that I am convinced I will never, ever be warm again. Almost all of my shopping is done with just a few stray things floating about that I still need to get. I'm rather satisfied with myself with how quickly that happened, though I suppose nothing's arrived yet so it's really only half done.

Now that it's December I'm sure you're all wondering what you're supposed to do now. Your brain is winding down wondering what just happened, since you built up a habit, got it all happy, then tore it down suddenly. There are a few options, and what you do is really up to you and depends on where you are in the grand scheme of things. Are you writing a series, is the thing you were working on for NaNoWriMo done, was it something you were going to publish, and do you want to do more for it? These are all questions you need to ask yourself before taking whatever next step you want to take.

Also, did you want to take a break? The standard for December is that it is a month spent editing and driving yourself absolutely crazy. For me it is spent pretending stuff doesn't exist anymore. Not because I didn't like it or don't appreciate it, but because after spending a month focusing on something like that, immediately going back to the beginning isn't going to help me look at anything objectively for the purposes of editing. If you are going to take a break of any kind you need to schedule it for a specific length, so make sure to put an end-date on there if you do. None of this 'I'll just play video games until I decide to do something else' business, if you're taking December off, you take December off, then on January 2nd (because the 1st is a holiday, let's be realistic) you grab your stuff and get back to work. Right now that is my plan, mostly because I think my health will benefit. My hope was that 'Rending the Seal' would be ready for the world around that time, but I wasn't able to factor in my beta-reader's sudden travel time and also their reading speed, so it'll likely be the end of January that it'll be ready (unless there's something massive that needs to be done, which is entirely possible) then it might be later. However, I have other stuff to work on, so even if she doesn't get it to me by then I'll still be working.

If you do want to work on the stuff you wrote for NaNoWriMo you need to think about what it is you want to do with it. 50,000 words is roughly 75-ish pages (if you're using 12-point, Times New Roman, single-spacing font) which is a good short story length. If you want to expand on it you can always edit and put in more detail, or you can keep the length, do some edits and show the world what you did. Or maybe you don't particularly like that story, but you do like the world, you can always do somethings completely different. There are so many options it's ridiculous, even the series word I mentioned up there. Either way remember to have fun with it, because if you don't enjoy it there's really no point.

Thanks so much for stopping by. As a reminder, 'The Light Rises' is available for 75% until the end of the year using coupon UM87K, so please tell everyone in order to help with their holiday shopping. I'll be back on Friday, and if you have anything to tell me just let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment