Friday, July 12, 2013

07/12/2013 Fantastic Friday!

Hello everyone and welcome back! I'm so happy you were able to make it here today. This week feels like it's been forever, so the fact it's Friday makes me incredibly happy. I never thought it would get here! For now let's get right to the reasons you're all here.

Today I bring you 'Incident in a Tomb' by Rik Hunik, and it tells the story of Joe and his supposed cousin Ward. They had done research into their family history and got the idea to try and raise one of their ancestors from the dead. A specific one that, according to the dates, lived a life that couldn't have been possible. However, things don't go nearly as well as either of them expected as they soon learn there are consequences for every action.

Joe didn't know Ward until very recently, so the fact he claimed to be his cousin wasn't something he'd had time to verify and research, especially since he said it was very distant. Besides, finding the old tomb had been far more interesting. They managed to sneak inside and when they finally find what they're looking for, he quickly realizes that not only does the spell work, but that there is an entire world he doesn't fully understand. However he'll need to play his cards right if he's going to get a chance to see that world again.

I enjoyed this story today mostly because I have always liked the idea of magic in our modern world. Think about how much more interesting everything would be if aside from all the marvels of science and technology, we also had magic to go along with it. I think it would be pretty sweet, especially if you go for standard magics like necromancy like the author did here. Nothing New Age-y or stuff like that, straight up dead-raising.

'Incident in a Tomb' is available for Smashwords for free. Unless my browser wasn't working right, which is always a possibility, I believe it is only available for online viewing though. It's a short story however, so looking at your computer for a little bit to read it shouldn't be too bad.

Thanks everyone for stopping by today. I really appreciate it. Also as a reminder, 'The Light Rises' is available for free still as part of the Smashwords Summer Sale, so please check that out too, I would really appreciate it. For now, I hope everyone has a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment