Friday, September 21, 2012

09/21/2012 Fantastic Friday!

Hello everyone and welcome back! I'm glad you were all able to stop by for another quick review. I'll get right to it so you won't have to wait any longer.

Today I look at 'Sword of Kings' by Matthrew Iden. It's a short story about a king who discoverers his sword, passed on through generations, is dying. He must now find a way to save the sword that has been a symbol of his family for generations, but he must also consider the cost of doing so.

Andreas always thought of himself as a good king, as did his people. He was bold, courageous, and was always strong and just, however when his sword, aptly named the Sword of Kings, begins to break and become heavy in his hands, he fears what that image means to his people. The sword has always been as light as a feather in the hands of all kings, but now he is barely able to lift it and he must discover why.

I picked this story because I like the idea of a short story proving to people that you can have a massive and very powerful story with so few words. Story stories are challenges to a lot of people because they want to put in more detail, description, and other things that make full-length stories what they are. The author here has managed to do all of that while keeping his story under 10,000 words, which is a talent.

'Sword of Kings' is available on Smashwords for .99, and I'm sure will be available at other vendors soon. I recommend picking it up, as a tale of self discovery is always a fun read. So please pass it along to your friends as well, I'm sure the author would appreciate it.

Another quick message before I go, yesterday I learned that Elizabeth Marshall, you may remember her name as the nice lady who wrote 'When Fate Dictates' a while back, is in a bit of a bind. Recently she signed up to publish through Amazon, and they have a contract that states authors can only sell through them, so being the good person she was, she unpublished her works from other publishers. Recently however her books have been popping up in order retailers (such as Apple and Kobo), but she did not put them there. Her newer books (I'm not sure about what's going on with 'When Fate Dictates') are only supposed to be available on Amazon, but someone is posting them elsewhere, so if you see them please report them or somehow get a message to her so she knows what's going on. She is writing Amazon, but is really worried they will think she's trying to breach the contract. Please help her out anyway you can.

Thanks everyone for stopping by today! I will be back on Monday, so hopefully my short weekend will be alright. Phase 2 is almost done, so I am getting more and more excited! Hopefully I will have good news to report on Monday too. Until then, I hope everyone has a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment