Wednesday, September 12, 2012

09/12/2012 Writing Wednesday!

Hello everyone and welcome back. The temperature is slowly starting to drop and things are making progress regarding my reading. Today I will bring my laptop with me, not because I assume I'll get to Phase 2 today, but if I do I want to be ready. There are also interviews starting for a permanent position, and myself and my fellow temps are excitedly hopeful!

The question I pose to you all today is a rather simple one: How do you remember all your ideas? I've been asked this before when someone was curious about how I can pick up a notebook, write for a few minutes, go to work, do some other things, and then come back to it and pick up where I left off. I thought it was an interesting question mostly because I didn't have that good of an answer for them.

For me, a majority of my ideas live in my brain. Sure there are pieces that I write down to keep everything straight (timelines are your friends, especially when dealing with something that spans at least one century) but for the most part I keep everything locked away in my brain bits. I have the general plot, major scenes, characters, and how they relate to one another in my mind, but I know that there are others that write everything down and make fantastically complicated looking webs of plot and characterization. I've been curious about making one someday, just to see what it all looks like, but I'm always worried mine will never be as interesting looking as others.

Sometimes people just need to write out an outline to help fuel their memories of what's happened, what's happening, and what's going to happen. This is also helpful when keeping track of events across multiple stories, or in the event you're dealing with time travel. This is by far the most organized way to keep things cohesive in my opinion, and I've done some of it myself since in 'Daughter of the Shackled King' there is a character that's lived for almost two centuries, so I used him as my guide for 'when things happened and how old was he when it did' so that I know at what point his life was at during 'The Light Rises' and so-forth.

So again, I ask what works best for you? Is there some kind of method that I haven't thought of, or that you're particularly proud of? I'd really like to see other examples, especially since I know there are some things that work for others, and things that don't, but if something is completely different it might work for them. My goal here has always been to help out where I can, so if there is something I'm missing I'd love for people to see it.

Thanks everyone for stopping by today. I look forward to seeing everyone back here on Friday for another review. I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of my schedule, which is a great relief. I hope everyone has a great rest of the day and I'll see you back here Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment