Wednesday, September 5, 2012

09/05/2012 Writing Wednesday!

Hello everyone! I hope you had a good weekend and a good start to your week. Over in the US here we had Monday off and man did I need it. I'm still working on getting fully adjusted to the work schedule, and I know it's been about a month that I've had to do that, but my schedule changes every week, so it's been a little difficult to get used to. Today is my off day though, so this was very much helpful in the larger scheme of things.

I know I've been talking a lot about motivation lately, so I wanted to try and look at something else in an attempt to give you all something more interesting to read. As I've gone through 'The Light Rises' again after pretending it doesn't actually exist for a while (which is weird considering I can go to my Smashwords page and see it all the time), I have learned just how important taking that step back really is. You can make something and go over it six hundred times in a row, or until the point you're convinced you're done and it's perfect, and when you go back to it after almost a year you find things that you wish you had done differently.

For me it was looking at the prologue to that story. I found sentences that didn't seem right, inconsistencies that didn't necessarily match up with the prequel I'm currently ignoring (it can stay in it's folder and like it!), or things that just seemed mentally clunky to read. That was when I decided that this story needed an overhaul and that anything I did to it would only make it better. Flash forward to today and I am roughly 50 pages from the end of Phase 1, and I still feel good about my decision.

I'm also coming to grips with the fact this is something that will likely need to happen with pretty much everything I write. Though my plan is to just go ridiculous on the editing phase so that I don't necessarily need to do it a year later before I throw something else out into the world. If you can get beta readers that's awesome, but sometimes if you want something done right you have to do it yourself. Even now there are parts of 'Rending the Seal' I'm wondering if they're really necessary and if I can move some stuff around to cut them out. Not because I don't like them (I positively love them) but because they take away from the story itself and I don't want it to feel like a bunch of filler leading up to a big fight scene. The morale of this story is: If you feel your story needs a new edition or an overhaul, go for it, don't feel bad, and be proud of it because it can only get better.

Thanks everyone for stopping by today. I apologize for the post being a little late, but like I said I am recovering from my brain being confused all weekend so I was exhausted yesterday. All's good now though, and I will be back Friday with my normal review. I hope you all have a great rest of your week!

No comments:

Post a Comment