Wednesday, July 25, 2012

07/25/2012 Writing Wednesday!

Hello everyone and welcome back! I hope the week has seen you all well so far, for me it is has been productive, with friends, and I have also learned that the one thing I had wanted to do while getting the True Ending in Persona 4 I could have actually done! (Don't you love when that happens? Thanks game, you're a winner.) As I said before I have also made progress in transposing 'Daughter of the Shackled King' and that feels really good.

Today I wanted to talk about what it's like to go from one story to another. It may seem like a simple task, but it's actually a matter of forcing your brain to go into a completely different gear. This is especially true if your various projects are completely different genres. If you wrote something that is a more fantasy type and you go to jump into something else that has more in common with science fiction you need to shift your way of thinking almost completely. Sure at some points technology can be like magic, but that doesn't mean it's the same thing, and you have it worked out in your mind how it actually works.

I noticed this while going between my own stories; even if it's technically the same world (just a bit further along in the time-line) it was quite the shift. Sure there's still magic, but it now works differently (yay plot!) and I also have to take into account the advancement in technology and such. It is a big shift, which is why sometimes it's alright to take a little break before hopping over to something else. It's a time to let your brain settle and then get ready to focus on something else to make sure that you don't start mixing things up.

I know I say that the break taking thing is just fine a lot, but I really can't stress it enough as how important it actually is. I know there are some people that can sit down and shoot out book after book after book, but those people are robots and honestly I just can't do that. Also physically I think that would make my hands fall off. It's important to give your brain time to rest and adjust before jumping into something else. If you need a break to take a few breaths and such, take it, that's perfectly fine, no one will hate you for it. If anything people will show you how much they're excited for your next book, and that should help give you motivation to come back.

Thanks everyone for stopping by, I'm sorry it's a bit later than normal, but Youtube is a terrible distraction. I hope to have good news by the end of this week regarding the employment situation. I hope the rest of the week is great for everyone and I'll bring a new book for you all to look at on Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment