Friday, February 3, 2012

02/03/2012 Fantastic Friday!

Welcome back all! I hope your week was as productive as mine (yay 'Daughter of the Shackled King' is now ready for typing!) but hopefully more sleep-filled. I do have a book for you all today, I just ask that you forgive spelling/grammar issues, if they are there, because I spent several hours staring at my ceiling. Anyway, let's get on with it!

Today we look at "The God of This World" by Daniel Eness. It's set in the first-person and follows a man on his way through an old temple to pay tribute to an ancient deity. Only when he finds his God, he learns a bit more than was expecting, including a lesson in vanity.

I picked this story because, 1) first-person has always fascinated me and I just can't seem to get it right whenever I try to do it, and 2) having just finished a story revolving around older Gods, I was super excited to see this. What I really liked about this story was the deity himself, he was still obviously powerful (and huge!) but there was the air of boredom and exhaustion that was carried with the character, and I think that was a rather nice look at an old deity.

I think I liked the deity a bit more than the reasonably confused main character, but that may have been because the idea of Gods acting like normal people I have always found amusing. It makes sense if you think about it, but I don't want to go into too much detail about that here. The first thing the main character does is ask the deity what the difference between Omniscience and Omnipotence is, which is something I found delightful.

"The God of This World" can be found at Smashwords for .99, and is a great addition to any e-book library. It was just published as of Feb 1st, so it's not in the premium catalog yet, but hopefully soon you'll be able to get it via Barnes and Noble and other distributors.

I thank you so much for coming back, I appreciate each and every one of you. I hope your weekend is fun and productive. Mine will be full of new cards, friends, games, and hopefully writing. See you all Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment