Friday, January 6, 2012

01/06/2012 Fantastic Friday!

Welcome back everyone! I hope your week has been productive and at least a little entertaining. I for one am looking longingly towards the weekend so that I may relax and not have to care so much about having to do work. For now though, let's get down to the book for today!

Today I look at "The Clockist" by Ben Godby. It tells the story of a clockwork golem that was designed to destroy beings known as the Celestial Courtesans, which it has done so rather well. Now it must travel back to its creator, the Artificer, but on the way it starts to unwind, and the Artificer can see what has become of her work as time starts getting involved.

I like this story not just because it has a nice steampunk element to it, but also because it shows the ramifications of a major decision that may or may not have been for the best. "The Clockist" is .99 right now on Smashwords, and is a rather short story that introduces you to a world that is much different from our own. I hope the author does more, if for no other reason than for world building, I would like to know more about it.

"The Clockist" is interesting because of what it does with the aspect of time. This is something that I tend to stay away from because, in my opinion, time travel should be done by the very few, and only those who actually know what they're doing. To quote my friend, "Only Doctor Who". It's something that complicates things to a degree that I do not agree with, and this story has worked with it in such a way that makes it easy to understand, keep up with, and also work along side. Not many things can do that.

I hope you enjoy this installment, I look forward to seeing everyone here on Monday as well. This has been a tiring week, so hopefully when I wake up on Monday I'll be ready for the day and also to get some work done! Until then, I hope you all have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment