Wednesday, June 25, 2014

06/25/2014 Writing Wednesday!

Hello everyone and welcome back! I hope this week has been nice to you so far. I am sitting there, wondering where the rest of my month went. Also where my kitten's collar is...Osiris came up to me this morning quite happy I couldn't hear this evil little steps. I am still looking at print options for my books. I have realized there is going to be a cost to this, since I'm going the self-published route, which isn't fun, but I'll figure out a way to make it work...well, depending on the cost.

We are almost to July though, which means it's time for our annual early bird post about NaNoWriMo. I know it always seems way too early to start thinking about it, but the way I see it, with how fast the months seem to go by it's better to be prepared now than to get to October 31st and have no idea what you're doing.

Besides all you're doing is starting the thinking process now. I'm not saying you have to get the planning done in a week because that would be crazy. It's June, you have until November, that would be crazy. My goal is to make sure as many people are ready as possible so that we can all participate together in order to achieve those 50,000 words in that ridiculous month. The other, more personal reason I'm bringing it up now is that it has recently come to my attention just how crazy that month is going to be and I'd like to get some form of preparing out of the way early.

The first thing you need to do is just figure out what you're going to be writing about in November. Of course between now and then things can change, but getting your brain gears turning is what's important now. As you work on settling your decision, think about the overarching plot and main protagonist. Side characters will come next, but if you know who your good guy is and what they're going to be doing that makes things a lot easier.

If you're continuing a series like I will be, think about what is going to happen in that branch of the story. Consider how much time has passed not just since the last one, but also since the first story. This will be a good way to help you figure out exactly how much your characters have grown and evolved throughout it. Also think about which part of the series you're writing; is it one of the middle books, the penultimate one, or the last? What has brought you to that point and where do you plan on going? These are important questions you need to ask yourself when you start your preparations so that when you start on November 1st you can jump in without any hesitation.

Also, outside of writing think about your personal schedule up until that point. Remember to tell your loved ones that you are going to be MIA for a while, and if you explain what you are doing they will likely understand and think it's super cool! Your schedule though isn't just what you're going to be doing in November, but also leading up to it. For example, I take October to do almost nothing productive, at least writing wise (I still need a job) in order to make sure that I don't accidentally take it too far during NaNoWriMo. Usually I find a video game or something that I've wanted to play for a while and obsess over that for the month. It gives me time to relax while getting the final mental preparations in order.

Thanks everyone for stopping by today. Of course we'll be talking more about NaNoWriMo and the preparations you can take the closer we get to the month. For now just enjoy the rest of your week, as we are getting closer to the end of the month. Have fun, and remember you can pick up 'Rending the Seal' and 'The Light Rises' on Smashwords whenever you want!

No comments:

Post a Comment