Wednesday, November 6, 2013

11/6/2013 Writing Wednesday - NaNoWriMo Edition

Welcome back everyone and happy November! I hope you are all have lots of fun! We are only on the 6th day but so far things are going well. Today I will be breaking 13,000 words, which is just a crazy thing to think about something to do in less than a week but is will be happening today. Also my hands haven't fallen off yet, so let's have a really careful round of applause for that!

So one of the fun things about the start of NaNoWriMo is that everything for your story is relatively fresh and new in your head. It's coming into next week when you are going to start seeing people float away from their word quotas, which means you need to start latching into them before that happens.

The thing that will start happening next week is that those walls of writer's block are going to start happening a little more frequently. See, NaNo is super fun, but part of the issue with writing in such a rush of time is that sometimes the ideas are jerks and have problems letting themselves be formed before its time to be put on paper. Week two is when the frustrations really start and that's when the first wave of people start throwing up their hands and giving up. I cannot stress enough how much this is supposed to be fun, so if you are getting frustrated just go take a break for a bit and come back to it.

Also, those times of writers block are going to happen during NaNoWriMo, they happen to all of us and while they are irritating they aren't something that will be there forever. They are a symbol that your brain just needs a little bit of a break to work everything out, which is normal. It's like a conversation I had with a buddy of mine the other day; when it gets to the point in your studies when you've highlighted the whole page, it's time to turn on Netflix. Just like studying though you need to come back to your writing eventually though, so if you do decide to watch something on Netflix, don't decide to binge watch an entire nine season series of something, watch like a documentary or whatever, but come back and get back to working on your word quota. Your brain will appreciate it.

Thanks everyone for stopping by today! I hope you are having as much fun so far this month as I am. As I mentioned on Monday, I think I am going to need to forgo my Friday post, at least for a bit until I get things wrapped up this month. I appreciate your understanding while I try not to completely destroy my wrists this year. I'll see you all next Wednesday (ha! Monday's a holiday!) so have a great rest of this one and start to your next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment