Wednesday, October 9, 2013

10/09/2013 Writing Wednesday!

Hello everyone. I will say in advance that I am sick, so anything that doesn't make a whole lot of sense, that'll be why. I haven't been sick in years (all of my medicine was expired) so this is kicking me in the back really hard, and I'm currently just trying to push myself forward because if I don't go into work today, someone is getting their car repossessed.

So with the idea that the post today is going to be likely short, what I wanted to bring up was something that was mentioned in the webcomic Penny-Arcade on Monday. It was talking about some advice that author John Scalzi gave Jerry (Tycho) which was simply 'you write short to write long'. This is so incredibly true, and I really cannot stress enough how much it is. It's impossible to jump in and immediately write something that's 150 pages long (unless you're a robot) especially when you're just starting out.

Before I got into my whirlwind of editing I used to write short things all the time. They are fantastic ways to develop characters or concepts before putting them into the bigger picture. It gives you a way to work out how their brain will work in certain situations even if you don't plan on that happening in anything you write for them in the future. What doing that does is give you a full picture of who they are and also what the world is like. I'd recommend doing this for everyone at least a few times to get an idea of how the process is on a smaller scale.

I would go into more detail, but concentrating is so hard right now. I've had a few more skips in posts than I would like though, so I didn't want to disappoint. With the hope that I will be at least at 85% on Friday, I will be back at that point to write up my review. Again, I appreciate your patience with me and I apologize there wasn't more, mostly because this topic is incredibly important. I'll try to write more on it next week when I'm better. Have a great rest of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment