Wednesday, May 7, 2014

05/07/2014 Writing Wednesday!

Hello everyone and welcome back. I hope this week is being nice to you so far. I am pushing through my long week, thankful that I have tomorrow off, but not so much with all the work I have to do during that time. It'll all be worth it though, I just need to make sure it all gets done. My laptop seems to be working normally again too, which is great, a little frustrating because I spent that money, but still great. I have gotten back to work, so I am all ready to go.

Even if it was only for about a week, coming back to everything after that small break was like coming back with a really fresh and clear mind. I mentioned last week how surprisingly useful that video game time was, now it's time to see the benefits of it. Well, I get to see the benefits of it, since I'm editing, you all just get to hear about it I suppose. It would be weird to start posting pieces from my editing progress here, so I won't do that.

My brain didn't feel tired anymore, that was the biggest thing I noticed. I mean I'm still looking forward to my big bout of time off in a couple weeks, and during that time I plan on doing very little that's considered productive, but this was still nice. When I sat down and pulled everything I needed out it didn't feel like some unending chore to edit, it just felt like a piece of the process that needed to get done. That is a big step because editing drives me nuts sometimes.

I am seriously attributing this way of thinking to those few days of nothing. I know it seems silly, but like I mentioned before I had been editing pretty much constantly for over a year if not significantly longer and I just lost track of time, to be able to sit down and do something that had no baring on anything important let me brain finally relax. By the time I was fairly certain my laptop would charge when I came home from work I was ready to get back to editing and it didn't feel like some damning second job that I don't get paid for. I wanted to do it. That is the important piece of all of this; I wanted to edit the project.

For me I would rather write everything and have it all magically come out perfect the first time. As I'm sure every writer ever would. I find actually crafting the story and typing it out to be infinitely more enjoyable than the editing portion, which is why the fact the physical writing part is actually the smallest sliver of time in the whole 'writing project' pie chart makes me sad. That hasn't changed, because I still find writing super lots of fun, however at this moment editing doesn't make me tired, and I think it's because I needed that break more than I thought I did. Sure it was only for a few days, and a smart person with some kind of degree would insist I take a longer one, but that was what I needed at that time. So while I may not have talked about anything specific about writing today, take away from this the benefit of having a few days off; you come back refreshed like when you wake up from a nap and then have ice cream.

Thanks everyone for stopping by today. I will do my best to be back on Friday. As I mentioned in a couple weeks I will be on vacation. I'm not going anywhere, but I'm also not doing anything, so the blog will be on break too. That will be on the 19th through the rest of that week. For now I hope the rest of the week is super nice to you! Have all of the fun! 

No comments:

Post a Comment