Friday, November 2, 2012

11/02/2012 Fantastic Friday!

Hello everyone and welcome back! I'm glad you've all decided to come by today. I've been trying to get through my own word quota for NANOWRIMO, so hopefully I'll be able to get something done before I go to work. For now though, let's get right to the review.

I bring you 'The Keening' by Keith Gapinski. It's a short story about a man trying to deal with his anxieties. It was bad enough that he moved away from the city he lived to try and get somewhere quiet and safe to help set his mind at ease. Unfortunately, life has a way of making things difficult and a strange cry one night threatens to bring all of the stress of the city back to him, and even possibly more.

Robert is someone who is just trying to figure out how to get through life without having to worry about what might cause his next set of stresses or possibly panic attacks. He figured the city was a major cause of this, so he moved away from it. Somewhere quiet, somewhere safe, somewhere he wouldn't need to worry about all the hustle and craziness of the city. What he heard that night though was different, that was something he shouldn't have heard, and now he feels the stress levels rising, yet still he knows he needs to find the source of it. The only problem is that something about it, that sound, has the possibility to make everything he hated about the city 10 times worse.

'The Keening' is available for free on Smashwords, so I do suggest you all go and check it out. I picked it because sometimes we all have to face what causes us stress and anxiety or else we're never going to move beyond it, and all it does is control our lives. I know there are certain things that are harder than others, but what's important is to identify the sources and try to help ourselves to fix it. I hope everyone picks it up for either a lunch or coffee break, it's short enough for anyone to enjoy.

Thanks for stopping by today. I am going to go into over-time with my NANOWRIMO progress. I'm at 2460 words right now, which is great if I was going for the normal word quota. However, my attempt at finishing up before Thanksgiving is making things a little difficult. We'll see how things go today though. In the meantime, I hope everyone has a fun and relaxing weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment